- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8 servings
- Preparation Time: about 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (2.5 oz.) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 (8-inch) corn tortillas, halved (I used flour tortillas)
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 can kidney beans or black beans (optional...my little tweak!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onion until meat is no longer pink and drain; stir in the enchilada sauce, tomatoes, olives, kidney or black beans (if using), salt, garlic powder and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg and set aside; spread one-third of the meat sauce in a greased 13 X 9-inch baking dish.
- Top with half the Montery Jack cheese, half the cottage cheeese mixture and half the tortillas.
- Repeat layers, ending with meat sauce; sprinkle with Cheddar cheese; cover and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
NotesI found this recipe in the Taste Of Home Ground Beef Recipe Cards booklet that I picked up at the grocery store check-out. *The recipe didn't call for it, but I also added a can of kidney beans. It was submitted by Norma Hoffmaster of Long Beach, CA
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing RecipesSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More