- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely minced or grated (reserve 2-3 Tbsp).
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley or 2 tsp. dried
- 1 egg
- 1-2 Tbsp. bread crumbs (optional, my grandmas don't add them)
- olive oil
- 1 large (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 can water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 (good) pinch sugar
- salt and pepper
- corn starch slurry (optional)
- Mix together the beef, onion, garlic, salt, oregano, parsley, egg, pepper to taste and breadcrumbs (if using). Form the mixture into elongaged oval-shaped meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and pan-fry the meatballs until they are browned on all sides (you don't have to cook them through). Remove. You can bake the meatballs instead if you want.
- To the pan, add the 2-3 Tbsp onion (and more oil if necessary) and cook until translucent. Add the tomato sauce, water, bay leaf, cumin, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a low boil and add the meatballs. Simmer about 10-15 minutes. If you want a thicker sauce, add a corn starch slurry at the end.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.
NotesAlso in my blog: http://ellysaysopa.vox.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
The NourishFull Kitchen
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More