- Cooking Time: 25 to 30
- Servings: 9
- Preparation Time:
- 1 package (7 ounces) spaghetti
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain.
- In a bowl, toss spaghetti with egg substitute and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread evenly into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasonings; heat through.
- Spoon over spaghetti.
- Top with mushrooms and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
NotesI halved this recipe and put it in a square baking dish to serve 4. Mine came out looking more tomatoey than the picture that comes with the recipe in Light and Tasty. I thought it was a good change of pace from normal spaghetti. I used a Paul Newman chunky veggie sauce in addition to more mushrooms on top to increase the veggie content. Also used fresh basil and oregano.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 274 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 685 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Food Travels Through Italy
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!See More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More