- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 small cans minced or chopped clams, drained, reserving liquid
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh butter
- 2 oz. (about 1/2 cup) salt pork (do not use fatback), diced into small pieces
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, to taste, mashed/minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, leaves only, chopped
- 2 tsp. flour
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 lb. spaghettini (thin pasta), cooked
- Parmesan cheese
- Open the cans of clams and drain, saving the clam juices.
- Combine the olive oil, butter and salt pork in a saucepan and heat until butter is melted.
- Chop garlic and parsley together and add to the saucepan.
- Cook slowly for 2 minutes.
- Do not burn or brown.
- Add the chopped clams, without the juices, and cook for several minutes.
- Add flour, red and black pepper, and stir well.
- Do not add salt as the clams are salty.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the clam juice, but be careful not to make the sauce too liquid.
- Bring just to a boil and mix.
- The clam sauce is ready to serve over hot cooked spaghetti.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
NotesThis is one of my family's favorite dishes, which I copied from Leone's Italian Cookbook many years ago. I use canned clams instead of fresh and the best flavored clams seem to be Gordon's or Snow's brand. Enjoy, but don't count the fat calories!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!See More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More