- Cooking Time: Approx. 30 minutes
- Servings: Approx. 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs whole frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- About 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- About 1 tbsp mint or basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- the juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp soup rice (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Sauté the thawed spinach in a pan with 1 tbsp butter
- In another pan, sauté the ground beef with the onion and herbs, and season to taste (if you want to use cinnamon, add it now); add a little bit of water and allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the meat and rice (if using) to the spinach, season to taste, add the lemon juice and mix well
- Cover the pan and let cook for about 15 minutes
- Serve with Greek-style yogurt
NotesMy grandfather was Greek from Turkey. His family left Istanbul in 1921.
My great-grandmother used to do this dish but, like many Greeks, did not have a cookbook. She'd do everything "me to mati" - literally, she'd rely on her experience, sight, taste and instinct. One day my mom found this dish in a restaurant and tried figuring out the recipe on her own. She came up with this recipe which she has been doing for years.
But because I never do as I'm told and always have to tweak recipes, I added cinnamon.