- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs. fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 cups finely chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tsp. fine Fine Grey Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Organic Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled (traditionally made from sheeps milk, feta cheese from goat milk is also good)
- 14 filo leaves (usually sold frozen, thaw thoroughly!)
- 3/4 cup clarified butter (ghee), melted.
- Wash and clean the spinach.
- Discard the stems.
- Drain & cut the leaves into shreds.
- Combine the spinach, parsley, dill, green onions and grey sea salt in a bowl.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then press out all of the liquid.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and saute the 3 cups of chopped onions until soft and transparent.
- Add the spinach mixture from step 2 and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the feta cheese and black pepper.
- Place each of 7 filo leaves in a buttered 10" x 17" x 2" baking pan, bruhing each leaf with melted clarified butter.
- Add the spinach mixture from step 3, spread into a thick layer then add remaining filo leaves, again brushing each leaf with melted clarified butter.
- Cut into 3"x 3" pieces with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.