- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs. fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 cups finely chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tsp. fine Fine Grey Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Organic Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled (traditionally made from sheeps milk, feta cheese from goat milk is also good)
- 14 filo leaves (usually sold frozen, thaw thoroughly!)
- 3/4 cup clarified butter (ghee), melted.
- Wash and clean the spinach.
- Discard the stems.
- Drain & cut the leaves into shreds.
- Combine the spinach, parsley, dill, green onions and grey sea salt in a bowl.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then press out all of the liquid.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and saute the 3 cups of chopped onions until soft and transparent.
- Add the spinach mixture from step 2 and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the feta cheese and black pepper.
- Place each of 7 filo leaves in a buttered 10" x 17" x 2" baking pan, bruhing each leaf with melted clarified butter.
- Add the spinach mixture from step 3, spread into a thick layer then add remaining filo leaves, again brushing each leaf with melted clarified butter.
- Cut into 3"x 3" pieces with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Watt's Cooking in PA?
culinary karmaSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More