- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
- 2 l/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- l/4 cup solid shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1 cup plump raisins (soak the raisins in warm water to plump them up while mixing the other ingredients-drain before adding to batter)
- 1/2 cup rough cut toasted walnuts
- Sift the first seven ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream the butter, shortening together, add eggs and beat well. Turn mixer on low speed and add
- vanilla and applesauce. Add raisins and walnuts-keeping the mixer at low speed start adding the dry ingredients. Don't overmix just make sure the flour is all in then stop mixing.
- Pour into the pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 min or until the center tests done.
NotesThis is my father's favorite cake. He says it is just like ones his mom used to buy him from the A&P store.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce