- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. aged sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Grate the cheese by hand or in a food processor. Cut the butter into pieces and blend it with the cheese, in the processor or with an electric mixer, until smooth.
- Add the cayenne pepper, salt and flour. Mix well.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour, so it will be easier to handle.
- You can prepare the straws with a cookie press, using the thin serrated ribbon blade to create 3-inch straws.
- Or you can form the dough into small balls, then roll them into thin rounds.
- Use the tines of a fork to etch grooves into the rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lay the straws on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake until done, about 30 minutes.
- The straws should have a sligth tinge of brown on the bottom but not on the top.
- If they brown too much, they will toughen. Makes 90 straws
NotesThe Heritage of Southern Cooking provides this recipe
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More