SPECIAL CHEESE STRAWS
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. aged sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Grate the cheese by hand or in a food processor. Cut the butter into pieces and blend it with the cheese, in the processor or with an electric mixer, until smooth.
- Add the cayenne pepper, salt and flour. Mix well.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour, so it will be easier to handle.
- You can prepare the straws with a cookie press, using the thin serrated ribbon blade to create 3-inch straws.
- Or you can form the dough into small balls, then roll them into thin rounds.
- Use the tines of a fork to etch grooves into the rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lay the straws on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake until done, about 30 minutes.
- The straws should have a sligth tinge of brown on the bottom but not on the top.
- If they brown too much, they will toughen. Makes 90 straws
NotesThe Heritage of Southern Cooking provides this recipe