- Cooking Time: 15 - 18
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C. butter (no substitues)
- 2 C. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp water
- 1 C. cut-up dates
- 3 C. sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- Dash of salt
- 1 C. chopped walnuts
- 2 T. sugar
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar and beat unti light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Dissolve soda in water; blend into creamed mixture.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Add dates, then blend in nuts.
- Chill several hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Form dough into 6 rolls, 10 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter on light floured surface.
- Place two rolls on buttered cookie sheet.
- Flatten to 1/4 inch thickness, leaving finger impressions as a design.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
- While hot, make diagonal slices 1 inch apart to form bars.
- Remove immediately to wire rack to cool.
- Makes 5-6 dozen.
NotesA favorite family cookie recipe. These don't last long around our house, and they are a great Christmas cookie recipe because they can be made ahead of time and frozen.
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
mussels for one or two
Carrot Cake Bites! GF, V, SCD, Paleo!See More