- Cooking Time: 15 - 18
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C. butter (no substitues)
- 2 C. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp water
- 1 C. cut-up dates
- 3 C. sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- Dash of salt
- 1 C. chopped walnuts
- 2 T. sugar
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar and beat unti light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Dissolve soda in water; blend into creamed mixture.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Add dates, then blend in nuts.
- Chill several hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Form dough into 6 rolls, 10 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter on light floured surface.
- Place two rolls on buttered cookie sheet.
- Flatten to 1/4 inch thickness, leaving finger impressions as a design.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
- While hot, make diagonal slices 1 inch apart to form bars.
- Remove immediately to wire rack to cool.
- Makes 5-6 dozen.
NotesA favorite family cookie recipe. These don't last long around our house, and they are a great Christmas cookie recipe because they can be made ahead of time and frozen.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More