- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour pans. This makes either one 9x13 inch cake or two 8" round cakes.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Also makes good cupcakes! I can't find anything smaller than a quart of buttermilk, so I usually use the rest of it in my lemon pound cake. Recipe to follow. :)
NotesThis is the most requested cake in my household, by far. It is actually a bit annoying to hear "I want spice cake!" over and over again, but I guess that means it is good. I have a huge burn scar from this cake on my arm, which serves as a constant reminder to be careful in a small kitchen! I found this recipe on the internet, and it required very little tweaking on my part to perfect it. Cream cheese frosting is the perfect complement.
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Cole Family Cookbook 2015See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More