- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour pans. This makes either one 9x13 inch cake or two 8" round cakes.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Also makes good cupcakes! I can't find anything smaller than a quart of buttermilk, so I usually use the rest of it in my lemon pound cake. Recipe to follow. :)
NotesThis is the most requested cake in my household, by far. It is actually a bit annoying to hear "I want spice cake!" over and over again, but I guess that means it is good. I have a huge burn scar from this cake on my arm, which serves as a constant reminder to be careful in a small kitchen! I found this recipe on the internet, and it required very little tweaking on my part to perfect it. Cream cheese frosting is the perfect complement.