- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup unsalted raw almonds (if you use roasted and salted almonds, just omit step 1 and the salt - if you use roasted unsalted almonds, just omit step 1)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer the almonds to a bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Stir the spices into the oil and cook, stirring until warm, about 30 seconds.
- Add the almonds and cook, stirring frequently, until the nuts are warm and the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add the hot pepper sauce and stir to distribute.
- Remove the almonds from the pan and allow them to cool before serving.
NotesThis is a tried-and-true recipe from Ellie Krieger. Nuts are an excellent snack, full of vitamins, protein and "good fat" they will keep you from devouering other less nutritious quick foods. Watch your portions, though, a handful is enough. Pack them in snack pack sandwich bags.
These offer a nice kick of spice so they are great in the afternoon or evening between meals.
HKA Community Fair Recipes 2015
Watt's Cooking in PA?
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free MamaSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More