- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For the cupcake batter
- 1/2 C. Butter (softened and room temp)
- 1/2 C. Sugar
- 1 Egg (Med. and room temp)
- 2 C. All-purpose flour, sifted
- 1. 5 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice powder
- 1 C. Applesauce (see note)
- 1 C. nuts (I like hazelnuts in these)
- For the icing:
- 1 stick butter, melted (or around 118ml)
- 1 8oz pckg Cream Cheese
- 1-1.5 cups Powdered sugar
- 2 Tblsp real Rum OR a couple of drops of rum flavouring
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C
- Cream butter and sugar together
- Add the egg and beat till combined and slightly frothy
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices together
- Add the flour mixture and applesauce to the creamed mixture alternately.
- Stir in raisins and nuts (if used)
- Carefully spoon mixture into a prepared cupcake tray. I would use sturdy paper cups instead of baking in a bare, greased tray. ETA: Fill the cups only HALFWAY. This is really important because otherwise these will overflow and you’ll have Spiced Applesauce OVEN =(
- Makes around 20-ish medium sized cupcakes. Allow to cool for a couple of hours and I would recommend putting these in the fridge overnight, then about 10 mins before frosting - take them out of the fridge.
- Directions for Icing
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and allow to cool slightly. Add the Rum/flavouring then stir in the cream cheese. Gradually sift in the powdered sugar and stop when you have reached a frosting consistency that appeals to you.
- I coloured my frosting red and with green decorating sugar, drew leaves on the top of the cupcakes. =) Enjoy!
NotesThis is an adaptation of a recipe I found on cooks.com and was originally a cake instead of cupcakes. The recipe originally called for a full cup of sugar. However, I made my own applesauce and added a 1/4 Cup of dark brown sugar to it so I reduced the sugar in the main recipe. This is a really gooey cupcake because of the applesauce. You will need to allow this to cool overnight if possible before eating and frosting.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More