SPICED BUTTERNUT SQUASH IN BLUE APPLE SAUCE WITH BROWNED BUTTER WALNUTS
Spiced Butternut Squash in Blue Apple Sauce with Browned Butter Walnuts
- Servings: 6-8
- 1 1/2 cups Roasted Butternut Squash (Cook at 400 degrees for 45 minutes - Until soft)
- 4 oz Mascarpone (Although Ricotta will work)
- 3 TB Parmagiano-Reggiano
- 3 TB Panko (ground fine)
- 1/2 tsp Sage (You knew it had to be in there somewhere)
- 1/4 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon (or 1/8 tsp Saigon - Keep it light)
- 1/8 tsp Mace
- 1/8 tsp Chipotle powder (Just a little heat - Cayenne would work, but it's missing the smokiness)
- 1/4 tsp plus a pinch Salt
- 1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 36 Wonton Wrappers
- Walnut Garnish:
- 1/4 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 TB Butter
- Blue Apple Sauce:
- 3 TB Butter
- 1 TB Shallot; finely minced
- 3 TB Flour
- 1/2 tsp Dried Tarragon; Crushed
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Juice (You can use apple cider if you like)
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 oz Gorgonzola; crumbled
Simply mix everything together with a fork until homogeneous .
I like to do this as quick as possible, so I lay out as many wonton wrappers as possible on my work surface.
Use a small 2 tsp scoop, and drop scoops onto the center of each wrapper.
Working fast, use a pastry brush to apply water to 2 of the sides.
Fold over and, starting with the point, begin pressing the edges together and trying to remove as much air as possible so they do not explode while cooking.
Lay finished raviolis on a baking sheet that has been dusted with cornstarch, to keep them from sticking together.....
Cover baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate until water is ready.
While water is coming to a boil, heat butter in a small skillet just until foam subsides, add walnuts and stir to coat, cook until butter begins to brown slightly and walnuts are fragrant.
Drain on a paper towel.
Blue Apple Sauce.
In a small saucepan melt butter with shallots, sweating for about 2 minutes.
Add Flour and cook roux with shallots until light brown.
Add Chicken Stock and Apple juice.
Whisk until smooth and cook until thick and bubbly.
Add Heavy cream and blue cheese, stiring until melted.
Remove from heat and cover to keep warm, or leave over ultra-low heat so it doesn;t scorch.
Cook and plate
Cook raviolis in salted, gently boiling water until they float.
Move 6-8 raviolis from water to each plate with a skimmer,
Drizzle with blue apple sauce and sprinkle with browned butter walnuts.