- Cooking Time: 18-20 minutes
- Servings: 12-16
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryI had some ripe, fresh pears to use and thought to combine them with some spices and make this muffin. Perfect served warm on a chilly Fall morning!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus an additional 2 tablespoons for topping
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, fresh pears (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons minced, candied ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.; line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners (will make 16 smaller muffins, if desired).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt. In another bowl, stir together the chopped pears, buttermilk, butter, egg, and vanilla. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, stirring until just mixed, being careful to not over beat. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Combine the remaining sugar and the minced candied ginger and sprinkle evenly over the muffin tops.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.