- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tb. minced ginger (3 inch piece)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced (I used canned tomatoes)
- 2 c. red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 c. stock (I used chicken, but vegetable would work to make this vegeterian)
- 4 c. water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- ground pepper
- ½ c. plain yogurt (I used low fat)
- In a large, heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, and curry powder. Cook, scraping any browned bits from bottom with wooden spoon, until onion is soft – about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir lentils, stock, water and bay leaf into pot. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cook stirring occasionally until lentils are tender – about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. In batches, puree in blender until smooth. Return soup to low heat and when warm serve in bowls with a dollop of yogurt.
NotesThis recipe came from Martha Stewart. She fries slivers of ginger to put on top, but I left that part out. It is really yummy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Italy or BustSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More