- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tb. minced ginger (3 inch piece)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced (I used canned tomatoes)
- 2 c. red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 c. stock (I used chicken, but vegetable would work to make this vegeterian)
- 4 c. water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- ground pepper
- ½ c. plain yogurt (I used low fat)
- In a large, heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, and curry powder. Cook, scraping any browned bits from bottom with wooden spoon, until onion is soft – about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir lentils, stock, water and bay leaf into pot. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cook stirring occasionally until lentils are tender – about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. In batches, puree in blender until smooth. Return soup to low heat and when warm serve in bowls with a dollop of yogurt.
NotesThis recipe came from Martha Stewart. She fries slivers of ginger to put on top, but I left that part out. It is really yummy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More