- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds ripe plantains
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Peel plantains; diagonally cut plantains in 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Arrange plantain slices in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine orange juice and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Pour juice mixture over plantains. Dot with butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
- Gently turn plantains over with thongs; bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
NotesIn most Caribbean islands plantains are eaten as a side dish with dinner. Make sure the plantains skins have blackened to guarantee the fruit is sweet and tender.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
The Best Dang Little Dumplings Ever
Steamed Sweet Coconut Parcels
HERBED SALMONSee More