- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds ripe plantains
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Peel plantains; diagonally cut plantains in 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Arrange plantain slices in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine orange juice and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Pour juice mixture over plantains. Dot with butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
- Gently turn plantains over with thongs; bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
NotesIn most Caribbean islands plantains are eaten as a side dish with dinner. Make sure the plantains skins have blackened to guarantee the fruit is sweet and tender.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More