- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 3
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstorySpiced and salted buttermilk drink is simple and effective drink for summer. Spiced and salted buttermilk drink is a famous drink during the summer seasons in India. During summer I make this almost everyday and absolutely love it very much. Cool, refreshing summer drink, low fat and healthy. Worth trying this summer.
- •16 oz low fat buttermilk or 2 cups non-fat yogurt
- •1 teaspoon salt
- •1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- •1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- •10-12 curry leaves
- •1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- •½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- •1 dry red chilly
- •1 teaspoon olive oil
- •2 (+1) cups water
- 1.If using yogurt, beat them with 2 cups water with a whisk (for about 5 minutes at maximum speed) to make it frothy and smooth. Set aside. If using buttermilk, pour in 2 cups water and stir with a spatula to combine. Set aside. You can add 1 more cup of water if needed.
- 2.Heat oil in a small saucepan. Once they sizzle, add the curry leaves and let it crisp. Then throw in the mustard seeds and let it pop.
- 3.Next add cumin seeds, dry chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute for 30-45 seconds and switch off the flame.
- 4.Add the above mixture, salt and cilantro to the whisked yogurt or buttermilk and stir to combine.
- 5.Serve in a pitcher glass and enjoy it cold.