SPICY APPLE AND FETA PORK BURGERS TOPPED WITH CRANBERRY ROSEMARY CREME FRAICHE
- Cooking Time: 20 to 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryFor the palate that craves creative fare and doesn't settle for ordinary...
I always freeze fresh cranberries and leftover holiday cranberry sauce to enjoy throughout the winter. I also still had some crisp fall Winesap apples from a Charlottesville orchard.
I love pork and fruit together and the citrus toast brings it all together along with sweet apple slices, spinach leaves, and the creamy sauce. This will satisfy your craving for sugar, salt, and spice.
If you too like extending the pleasure of tart cranberry season give these a try. They may become your new favorite burger!
- INGREDIENTS FOR BURGERS
- 1 pound ground pork (the kind used for sausage not lean)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup apple, diced small, peeling on (I used Winesap but pretty much any apple with a nice balance of sweet and tangy will work)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced small
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 4 thick slices of cranberry orange toast (or bread of your choice)
- 2 small or 1 large apple, peeling on and cut into round slices or wedges (squeeze a tiny bit of lemon juice over slices to prevent them from turning brown)
- Approximately 24 fresh spinach leaves
- INGREDIENTS FOR CRANBERRY ROSEMARY CREME FRAICHE
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1/3 cup cranberry sauce (I've included my Red Wine Cranberry Sauce recipe HERE http://www.tipsyculinaryqueen.com/2013/01/spicy-apple-feta-pork-burgers-topped-with-cranberry-rosemary-creme-fraiche.html
- or you can use store bought)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- pinch of salt
- DIRECTIONS FOR BURGERS
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a bowl and blend with hands. Divide into 4 patties. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium. Cook pork burgers for approximately 10 to 15 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Toast bread. Let it cool slightly. Smear a small amount of sauce onto bread. Layer spinach on. Then apple slices. Place burger down and spoon more sauce over the top. This is a fork and knife gourmet sandwich but if you're brave enough to tackle it by hand, go for it! Just have plenty of napkins close by.
- DIRECTIONS FOR SAUCE
- Combine all ingredients into a small bowl. Mix well. Set aside.