- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Spicy BBQ Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds bone in, skinless chicken thighs
- For the tostadas:
- Tostadas (store bought or homemade*)
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese of your choice (I used Monterey Jack & Colby)
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl.
- Generously rub the spice mixture on the chicken thighs, making sure to thoroughly coat.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until juices run clear and is completely cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Using 2 forks, remove the chicken from the bones. Use this seasoned chicken or your tostadas.
- To assemble your tostadas, spread a dollop of sour cream on top of the tostadas. Top with a heaping tablespoon of the spicy bbq chicken. Garnish with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- *To make homemade tostadas, briefly fry corn tortillas in oil until crisp and lightly browned. Drain on a paper towel and cool slightly before topping.
NotesPlease tell me I'm not the only one. Every so often, I'll look in my pantry to find an over abundance of a random ingredient... and I'll have no idea how it happened. Maybe a grocery store sale I took advantage of? Perhaps my mother in law brought some to share and left them? Or even the rare chance my husband went grocery shopping and picked them up? This time, the ingredient in question was corn tortillas. I had way too many packages and needed a way to use them. Thankfully, I have a nice list of Tex-Mex and Mexican inspired recipes that I could serve up and/or use with corn tortillas. The most recent dish I made were these Spicy BBQ Chicken Tostadas. Shredded sweet and spicy bbq chicken makes a delicious filling to top crispy corn tostadas along with our favorite garnishes...
When it comes to Tex-Mex fare, taco seasoning is commonly used to flavor meats like chicken, beef, pork, even seafood. Rather than using a packaged taco seasoning mix or even making my own, I thought about trying a different seasoning. Tex-Mex fare doesn't have to taste like tacos, right?! I came across a spicy BBQ chicken rub recipe that I used on bone in/skinless chicken thighs. Rather than eating as is, I removed the chicken off the bone, shredded and use that as a topping for tostadas. It was delicious and I especially liked the sweet and spicy flavor the BBQ rub imparted on teh chicken. That flavor was due to the use of dark brown sugar and a nice hit of cayenne pepper, which was a nice balance. Feel free to top your tostadas as you wish. I kept it simple with sour cream, pico de gallo, a touch of cheese and a nice squeeze of fresh lime juice. It was a refreshing, colorful and light dinner, perfect for summer!