- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can (11 1/2 oz.) tomato juice
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 piece (3-inch) Parmesan cheese rind, optional
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 1/2 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15 oz.) canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/2" thick rounds
- 2 yellow crookneck squash, cut crosswise into 1/2" thick rounds
- 1 pound package frozen corn, optional
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a heavy large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic, and saute until the onions are translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the chili powder, coriander, cumin, oregano and crushed red pepper, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, tomato juice, tomato paste, cheese rind, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Add the broth, garbanzo beans, cannellini beans, and lentils. Stir in the broccoli, zucchini, and yellow squash. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender and the mixture thickens slightly, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Season the stew to taste with more salt, if desired.
- Ladle the stew into bowls. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and basil, and serve.
NotesEven though this soup is meatless, my husband, who is a true carnivore, didn't even miss it being meatless! Very good, and very filling. I added a package of frozen corn towards the end of the cooking time. The original recipe did not call for the corn.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce