SPICY CALIMARI STEW WITH PARMESAN SOURDOUGH CROUTONS
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in 1/2
- 1 28 moz. can crushed tomatos
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds calamari (squid), bodies thinly sliced and tentacles whole
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
For the Croutons: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Slice bread into 1 inch cubes.
Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Toss to coat.
Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
Using a micrograter, grate parmesan cheese generously over hot croutons. Set aside.
For the Calamari Stew: Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot. Add the garlic and let cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove the garlic.
Add the tomatoes, stock, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
Bring the mixture to a simmer.
Add the calamari and stir to combine.
Continue to cook until the mixture comes back up to a simmer, about 2 more minutes.
Serve immediately with the croutons.