SPICY CHICKEN SALAD
- ngredients for chicken
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 6 large garlic cloves, crushed (or 3 tsp minced garlic)
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 small birds eye chillis
- 4 tsp caster sugar
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless and trimmed of skin and fat
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Black pepper
- Ingredients for salad
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 cucumbers, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 200g vermicelli noodles
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp roasted unsalted cashew nuts, crushed
Whisk fish sauce, pepper, garlic, ginger, chillies and sugar. Put chicken in a seperate bowl and pour over HALF the marinade (set aside the other half of the marinade for now). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 mins.
2. With the remaining marinade, add the lime juice and sugar and stir till the sugar has dissolved - this will be the salad dressing. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, then fry the chicken (in two batches), cooking for 3 minutes on each side. To get really crispy chicken, put a large and heavy pot on top of the chicken to press it down to the frying pan. However make sure that you¡¯re doing this in a non-stick frying pan otherwise it¡¯ll stick horribly.
4. Pour boiling water over the noodles and leave for a few minutes or till soft. Drain and rinse under cold water, making sure to drain all excess water. Place the noodles in a large bowl and add the cucumber, spring onion, cherry tomatoes and cashews.
5. Add the dressing, toss well and serve sliced chicken on top