SPICY EGGPLANT DIP
- 4 eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 slices white onion, diced small
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 chili flakes
- 4 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 28-oz. can plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup pinenuts, roasted
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and ground white pepper to taste
In a colander sprinkle eggplant with salt and leave for 20 minutes.
In a large sauté pan, add oil and cook eggplant until golden brown.
When eggplant is brown, take out of the pan and add remaining oil and sauté onions until translucent.
Add celery and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes before adding in the tomatoes.
Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook for 5 minutes.
In a small pan, simmer the sugar and vinegar until the sugar has dissolved.
Add this to the vegetable farce and place everything in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Let cool and add in fresh chopped parsley.
Season to taste and serve.