- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 canned chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (the sauce in which the peppers are canned)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4 large slices sourdough bread, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces New York State Cheddar cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- 4 thin slices red onion, in rings
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro.
- 1 large or 2 small tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick.
- 1. In a blender or small food processor, combine tomato paste, chipotle peppers, adobo and molasses.
- Puree until smooth.
- 2. Taste chipotle pepper spread to determine the spiciness, then spread one side of each slice of bread with desired amount.
- Refrigerate the extra sauce.
- 3. On each of 2 slices of bread, place 2 slices cheese.
- Top with onion rings, then sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Add tomato slices, and top with remaining cheese.
- Put slices of bread, pepper sides down, over sandwiches.
- 4. If using a sandwich grill, follow the instructions.
- Otherwise, place a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Put sandwiches in pan, and weight with a clean heavy pot.
- When bread has begun to toast and brown and cheese is melting, in 1 to 2 minutes, flip sandwiches over and toast other sides.
NotesThis is based on a sandwich I had at a local artisan bakery. You'll enjoy every flavorful bite!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Camp Nubar Baking Class
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More