SPICY GRILLED CHEESE
- Servings: 2
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 canned chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (the sauce in which the peppers are canned)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4 large slices sourdough bread, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces New York State Cheddar cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- 4 thin slices red onion, in rings
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro.
- 1 large or 2 small tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick.
1. In a blender or small food processor, combine tomato paste, chipotle peppers, adobo and molasses.
Puree until smooth.
2. Taste chipotle pepper spread to determine the spiciness, then spread one side of each slice of bread with desired amount.
Refrigerate the extra sauce.
3. On each of 2 slices of bread, place 2 slices cheese.
Top with onion rings, then sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Add tomato slices, and top with remaining cheese.
Put slices of bread, pepper sides down, over sandwiches.
4. If using a sandwich grill, follow the instructions.
Otherwise, place a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat for 30 seconds.
Put sandwiches in pan, and weight with a clean heavy pot.
When bread has begun to toast and brown and cheese is melting, in 1 to 2 minutes, flip sandwiches over and toast other sides.