- Cooking Time: 10 min.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound (2 medium-large round or 6 to 8 plum) red, ripe tomatoes
- 2 large fresh jalapeño chiles
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds tender boneless beef (sirloin, strip steak, rib-eye or tenderloin), cut into 1-inch cubes and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preparing the roasted tomato salsa. Roast the tomatoes on a baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler until soft and blackened, about 6 minutes per side. Cool and peel, collecting all the juices with the tomatoes. While the tomatoes are roasting, roast the chiles and unpeeled garlic directly on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until soft (they’ll blacken in spots): 5 to 10 minutes for the chiles, about 15 minutes for the garlic. Cool, then pull the stems from the chiles and peel the garlic.
- In a large mortar (or food processor), pound (or whir) the chiles, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a coarse-textured puree. Add the tomatoes and their juices (a few at a time, if using a mortar) and work into a coarse, rich-textured salsa. Scoop the onion into a strainer, rinse under cold water, shake off the excess moisture and add to the salsa, along with the vinegar and 3 tablespoons water. Taste and season highly with additional salt if necessary.
- Finishing the dish. In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil (or bacon drippings) over medium high. Sprinkle the meat with salt. Lay the meat in the hot pot in an uncrowded layer and quick-fry, stirring and turning them all regularly, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the salsa, optional Worcestershire and cilantro. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until the salsa has reduced enough to lightly coat the meat, about 2 to 3 minutes. Dinner is ready.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More