- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 each egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add egg, vanilla and milk.
- In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients.
- Stir dry into butter mixture.
- Chill dough before rolling into spheres.
- Bake until cookies are golden on the edges and "lose their gloss" in the middle.
- download the .pdf.
- See more recipes like this, plus stories, reviews and more at food. according to me.
NotesThese cookies happened because I have an (abnormal?) affinity for black pepper and I really love contrasts in normally sweet items - a spicy cookie, for example. They can be baked soft and chewy, or into crisp little wafters (by adjusting the time in the oven, obviously). Consider, if you like, sprinkling more black pepper on top before baking for an extra buzz.