- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 lbs Young green beans
- 4 long, thin Red chiles (fresh or dried)
- 4 large Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Peppercorns (white, black, green or a mixture)
- 1/4 cup loosely-packed fresh dill sprigs (or 4 tbsp dried dill weed)
- 2 1/2 cup Water
- 2 1/2 cup White wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Salt
- Trim and remove strings from the beans. Rinse well and set aside.
- Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water. When jars are cool enough to handle, fill each upright with beans until they are snug. Insert chiles and garlic cloves (preferably around outside so they can be seen). Divide peppercorns and dill among jars.
- Separately bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil in a non-reactive sauce pan. Ladle the hot brine over the beans leaving about 1/2-inch head space.
- Wipe jar edge clean and screw on sterilized lid and band according to manufacturers instructions.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 12 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely at room temperature away from drafts.
- Check lids to make sure proper seal has been attained.
- Store for at least one month before using to allow flavours to develop.
NotesMy mom passed this recipe onto me recently and I can't thank her enough! These have quickly become one of my favourite snacks!
These are great to munch on on their own (fantastic in the summer!) or to garnish a drink (bloody mary, anyone?).
Yields 4 pints
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More