- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA cross between your thick, steak chips and a baked tater, these spicy smashed potatoes would be wonderful as a side dish or just as finger food :)
You can read more about this on my food blog - Kitchen Wench
- Approx. 700g potatoes, scrubbed and cut into smaller pieces (small enough to hold comfortably)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Put a large pot of water on to boil, and once it is boiling, add the potatoes and boil till they are half cooked (they should be able to be pierced with a fork but still be somewhat firm and hold shape well), then drain the water from the pot.
- 2. Drizzle some olive oil over the potatoes, then mix together the spices and add 2/3 of the spice mix to the pot. Put the lid on and hold it tight as you roughly shake the pot about to smash the potatoes and toss the spices around (make sure to give them a good roughing up as those smashed/rough edges and bits of potato will get deliciously crisp). Once the spices are evenly distributed and the potatoes have been nicely roughed up, layer them onto a lined baking tray, cut surfaces up.
- 3. Sprinkle the remaining spices on the potatoes and bake them for about 15-20 minutes, or till the surface is dried and the edges start to get crisp. Turn the potato pieces over and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or till the outside has nicely crisped up and the inside is wonderfully soft and easily pierced through with a fork.
- 4. Plate the potatoes and enjoy as is, or if you feel like upping the level of sinfulness, with some sweet chilli sauce and sour cream on the side
- You can read more about this on my food blog - Kitchen Wench