SPICY STIR-FRIED TOFU WITH COCONUT RICE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Coconut Rice:
- 7/8 of a cup short grain rice
- 2 tsp roasted peanut oil
- 1/2 a small sweet onion (or a whole onion if you like onion, like me!) diced fine
- 1 clove garlic - minced (I buy mine in a jar, minced and ready to go!)
- 1/4 tsp tumeric (give the rice the pretty yellow coloring)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 15 oz can coconut milk (use “light” coconut milk to cut down the fat and calories drastically)
- 2 c water
- 1/4 tsp lime zest (optional)
- Spicy Tofu:
- 1 box firm tofu
- 1/2 T ground coriander
- 1/2 T ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot!)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 T peanut oil
- 2 scallion - chopped (optional)
- Warm your oil in a 3 qt sauce pan with the onion, garlic and tumeric. Cook over med heat around 8 minutes, stirring. Add rice, salt, coconut milk and water and lime. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover and cook until rice is done, around18 minutes. Stir a few times during cooking. Turn off, remove from heat while you prepare tofu (if it looks a little wet don't worry, it will absorb while it sits)
- Tofu: press your tofu while the rice is soaking. Put tofu between pieces of paper towel with a med sized book on top, turn after 15 min and press again.
- Cooking tofu: Cut pressed tofo into cubes. Combine spices in a bowl. Heat oil, add tofu, sprinkle with spices, stir fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Add scallions right at the end.
- Cut rice in a bowl, top with the tofu. Add yummy greed veggies as a side!
NotesWarm sticky coconut rice topped with spiced pan fried tofu with a side of delicious greens!
This a nice warm and filling meal. It isn't *too* spicy and it's toddler approved in our house. It makes great left overs too!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More