SPICY STRAWBERRY JAM
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup sweet red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 green chile pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Soak the strawberries in red wine for 10 minutes, then transfer to a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. As soon as it starts to boil, add the ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, chile pepper, red pepper flakes, apple cider vinegar and salt. Boil over medium heat, stirring every 10 minutes, until the preserve thickens.
Remove the chile pepper and cinnamon stick from the preserves. Ladle into clean 1/2 pint jars, wipe rims with a clean cloth or paper towel, and seal with new lids. Store in the refrigerator.