SPICY TURKEY LOAF
- Onions, chopped 3 cups
- Green bell peppers, chopped 1 1/2 cups
- Celery, chopped 1 cup
- Seasoning mix (recipe follows), divided about 1/2 cup
- Fresh garlic, minced 2 Tbsp.
- Balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup
- Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup
- Evaporated skim milk 3 cups
- Fresh bread crumbs, unseasoned 2 1/2 cups
- Egg substitute 1 cup
- Ground turkey 3 1/2 lb.
Preheat large skillet to 350F, about 4 minutes. Add onions, peppers, celery and 1/3 cup seasoning mix. Cook until vegetables start to soften, about 2 minutes.
2. Add garlic, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking too hard, until all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk. Continue to cook until liquid comes to full boil. Remove from heat; let mixture cool to room temperature.
3. Transfer vegetable mixture to large bowl. Add remaining seasoning mix; combine thoroughly. Stir in bread crumbs and egg substitute. Add turkey. Gently stir until just combined; do not overmix. Press mixture into loaf pan. Bake at 300F until done, 40-45 minutes (internal temperature should be at least 165F).
Combine 2 Tbsp. salt, 2 Tbsp. sweet paprika, 1 Tbsp. dried sweet basil, 2 tsp. onion powder, 2 tsp. dry mustard, 2 tsp. ground cumin, 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. white pepper, 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp. ground allspice.