- Cooking Time: 45-55
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWe used to make this at the restaurant along with the blueberry stuffed french toast for Sunday brunch. These satisfied both the sweet and the savory
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions (1 large)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 cups French bread or Italian bread, in 1 inch cubes (1/2 lb)
- 6 ounces coarsely grated gruyere (2 cups)
- 2 ounces finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (1 cup)
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Squeeze handfuls of spinach to remove as much liquid as possible, then finely chop.
- Cook onion in butter in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in spinach, then remove from heat.
- Spread one third of bread cubes in a buttered 3-quart gratin dish or other shallow ceramic baking dish and top evenly with one third of spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle with one third of each cheese.
- Repeat layering twice (ending with cheeses).
- Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl and pour evenly over strata.
- Chill strata, overnight, covered with plastic wrap, (at least 8 hours for bread to absorb custard).
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake strata, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.