- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
- 3-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Whole wheat pita crisps for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add to drained spinach in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, warm milk over high heat.
- Whisk in cream cheese until melted, about 3 minutes.
- Add spinach, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella; stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot with accompaniments, as desired.
NotesWe all know spinach is a power food. It's full of potassium, calcium, Vitamin C, and Bs, and loads of fiber. Plus it makes a killer dip, if you watch the fat and sodium connect of the additions. This is a creamy, delicious dip that is also lower in fat than traditional recipes, but without losing any of the flavor.
Modified from Everyday Food recipe