- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
- 3-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Whole wheat pita crisps for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add to drained spinach in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, warm milk over high heat.
- Whisk in cream cheese until melted, about 3 minutes.
- Add spinach, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella; stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot with accompaniments, as desired.
NotesWe all know spinach is a power food. It's full of potassium, calcium, Vitamin C, and Bs, and loads of fiber. Plus it makes a killer dip, if you watch the fat and sodium connect of the additions. This is a creamy, delicious dip that is also lower in fat than traditional recipes, but without losing any of the flavor.
Modified from Everyday Food recipe
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking DC 2013
Cooking with Sabra
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More