- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 recipe Basic Savory Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- 2 pounds fresh spinach or 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts browned in 3 tablespoons
- butter and drained (optional)
- Lemon wedges
- Basic Savory Pie Dough (Aajeen)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups lukewarm water or milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl. In another bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Let sit 5 minutes. Stir yeast mixture into remaining water, or milk and add to flour mixture. Mix well with wooden spoon and turn onto floured board. Knead well for 8-10 minutes, until dough is very elastic and smooth. Place in greased bowl and cover with dry towel. Set dough in warm spot until it has doubled. Punch down and form into a ball. Let dough rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 25 or 40 pieces. Coat hands with oil and form each piece into a ball. Cover dough with dry towel and let rise 30 minutes. Roll balls into circles 1/4 inch thick for fatayer or fill and form into meat or spinach pies.
- Divide pie dough into 12-15 balls and roll into 4 inch circles about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
- Wash, Drain and chop fresh spinach or cook frozen spinach, drain and chop. Lightly squeeze out moisture and place in large bowl. Add onion, salt and optional pepper to spinach. Mix well and let stand a few minutes. Stir in lemon juice and oil. Add browned pine nuts if desired. It should taste like a good salad.
- Place a small amount of spinach mixture in center of each round of dough. Form a triangular pie by drawing two sides of dough to the center and pinching shut a seam from center to the corner. Then draw up the remaining flap of dough and pinch shut the remaining seams, leaving a small opening to vent the pie in the center. Or make vertical pleats of dough around the filling to form a round open tart. (The former method is more traditional). Brush with olive oil.
- Bake at 375 to 400 degrees F for 15 minutes , until brown on top and bottom. Serve warm or cool with lemon wedges
Notes(makes 25 four inch or 40 three inch pies)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More