- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound baby spinach (or 2 (16 oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach)
- sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) organic butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached organic white flour
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup cream or whole milk
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1. Cook fresh spinach over medium-high heat in a large dry non-stick skillet with a pinch of sea salt until completely wilted, about 4 minutes. Remove spinach with a slotted spoon, leaving the liquid in the pan. Set spinach aside.
- 2. Pour liquid from the pan into a small bowl and set that aside. Wipe skillet dry. Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add flour stirring until blended but not brown, just a minute. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add spinach liquid and cream very slowly, stirring constantly, to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth and thick, about 30 seconds. Add salt, pepper, celery seed, garlic granules, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and cheese. Stir until melted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3. Add spinach back to skillet and stir to completely blend. Spoon the spinach into a serving dish. Combine bread crumbs with olive oil and sprinkle over the spinach. You may either serve this immediately or for a hot bubbly dish, bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until bread crumbs are crispy and golden and spinach is hot and bubbly. This dish may be frozen for later use.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Vegan Glass Jar GoodiesSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More