- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 lb. fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion (yellow or green, or leeks too)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 package puff pastry dough
- salt and pepper to taste
- dill and parsley to taste
- Thaw puff pastry dough for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 jelly poll pans.
- Meanwhile, cook the onions in a little oil until translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Lightly saute spinach until it begins to wilt, but doesn't reduce its volume completely.
- Mix spinach, crumbled feta cheese, 2 whole eggs, dill & parsley, salt & pepper together.
- Stretch pastry dough slightly by using a rolling pin. Cut each sheet into 9 squares (18 squares total for the package).
- Drop spoonful of spinach mixture onto each square.
- Fold dough squares tip to tip to form into triangles, being sure to seal them completely so mixture does not ooze out (it helps to slightly wet your finger tips when pressing dough together).
- Arrange mini pies on greased baking sheet.
- Beat egg yolk in a bowl.
- Brush egg yolk on top of each pie.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yields: 18 mini pies
NotesI really love spanakopita, but I really hate working with phyllo (what a terrible Greek I am! :) so, I tried making individual spinach pie triangles with puff pastry and they were great. Much easier to work with the dough, and the flakiness definitely adds something good and different.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Rainbows Of Vegan Love
Special SmoothiesSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More