- Cooking Time: 45-50
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeeze of all excess liquid, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (1 large)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 cups cubed French or Italian bread in 1-inch cubes (1/2 lb)
- 6 ounces coarsely grated Gruyère (2 cups)
- 2 ounces finely grated parmesan (1 cup)
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Sauté onion in butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg and continue cooking for one minute. Stir in spinach, remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread one third of the bread cubes in a well-buttered 3-quart gratin dish or other ceramic baking dish. Top with one-third of bread cubes,one-third of spinach mixture and one-third of each cheese. Repeat layering twice with remaining bread, spinach and cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, mustard and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl and pour evenly over strata. Cover with plastic wrap and chill strata for eat least 8 hours or up to a day.
- The next day, let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 350°F. Bake strata, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
NotesThis is great for brunch and can be made the night before. The original comments said it was also good in the freezer.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More