- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- For the pastry:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 6 to 8 Tbs. ice water
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- For the spinach filling:
- 2 packages (each 10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 10 green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 lb. feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- To make the pastry, in a bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Add the butter and, using a pastry blender, cut it in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, using a fork, beat the egg with 2 Tbs. of the ice water. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture and 2 more Tbs. ice water. Using the fork, mix lightly, adding more ice water as needed until the mixture holds together. Pat into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a floured pastry board or other work surface, roll out the pastry into a round about 13 inches in diameter. Transfer to an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, turn under the edges to make them flush with the pan rim, and prick the bottom in several places with a fork. Press a piece of aluminum foil, shiny side down, onto the crust, and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 425F.
- Bake the foil-lined pastry shell for 8 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the crust looks dull, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the Swiss cheese, and reduce the oven temperature to 375F.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Drain the spinach and squeeze dry. In a large saut� pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the yellow and green onions and garlic and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and saute, stirring, until completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the dill and pepper and continue sauteing for about 2 minutes more. Taste and adjust the seasonings; the mixture should taste peppery. Let cool for 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a pitcher or bowl, whisk the eggs until blended, then whisk in the half-and-half and cream. Crumble the feta cheese into the spinach and stir in the egg mixture. Pour into the prebaked shell.
- Bake until the filling is puffed and light brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with the olives and serve.
NotesAdapted from the Williams-Sonoma book, Brunch Entertaining, by Janeen Sarlin.
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Italian Sausage and Mushroom Ravioli
Chicken Tacos with Green Chili Adobo
Fish Cakes (Thai) with Herd & Peanut SaladSee More