Spinach and Paneer (Cheese)
Paneer (cheese) - 200 g (cut into cubes)
Spinach - 1 kg
Onions - 2
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 5 cloves
Tomatoes - 3 (chopped)
Green chillies - 3 (chopped)
Brown cardamom - 2
Salt - to taste
Cooking oil - 3 tbsp
Fresh cream - 1/2 cup
* Deep fry the paneer cubes in oil till light golden brown and keep aside.
* Wash and chop the spinach. Pressure cook with ? cup of water for 10 minutes on low heat. Then cool and grind to a smooth paste.
* Grind the onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chillies and the cardamom seeds to make a puree.
* Heat the cooking oil, add the onion-tomato paste and cook for 6 minutes
* Add the spinach paste, salt and little water - cook for 5 minutes.
* Add the paneer cubes and the cream.
* Cook on very low heat for two minutes till the paneer gets soft.
* Before serving you may add one tsp of red chilli powder if required.
* The Palak Paneer is now ready to serve with Indian Breads and Rice Dishes.
Pairs Well With
My grandmother loved this dish, I have found other ways to spice it up as well. A very wholesome vegetarian comfort food the family will love.