- Cooking Time: 30-35
- Preparation Time:
- 3 red or green peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 can diced tomato
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cleaned pepper halves onto a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, flipping once. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown turkey. Drain any fat and add onion to pan, cooking until tender. Add garlic, basil, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Stir in spinach and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan.
- Fill each pepper with stuffing and place into a baking dish. Pour tomatoes over peppers. If desired, top with a spoonful of tomato sauce or sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Peppers should be soft and warmed through.
NotesIf you love the flavors of a traditional stuffed pepper, but want something a bit lower in fat and carbs, this is the recipe to try! It is a great quick meal, and the stuffing freezes well so you can make it in advance. I make a double batch, freeze half and then use it later to fill peppers or portobello caps for dinner, or baby bellas for an appetizer!