- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 C. granulated sugar
- 2 C. water
- 1/4 C. margarine or butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 C shortening
- 2/3 C milk
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 C shredded, peeled, cooking apples (I use Granny Smith and chop them up with a Food Chopper)
- For Sauce, in a large saucepan, combine 2 C sugar, the water, margarine, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to boiling and boil for 5 minutes; set aside (should have about 2 cups sauce).
- For dough, in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pea-size.
- Make well in center. Add milk all at once. Stir just until moistened.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Roll out to 12 X 10 inch rectangle.
- For filling, combine 1/4 C sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon; set aside. Sprinkle apples evenly over dough. Sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Roll dough into a log, starting from a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into twelve 1 inch thick slices. Place in 9 X 13 baking pan. Pour sauce over dumplings.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven about 50 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!
NotesThis recipe came from bhg.com. They are soooo good!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More