SPLIT PEA SOUP
- Cooking Time: 4-8 hours
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 16oz bag of dried green split
- 2 large ham hocks (have the butcher cut them in half)
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup onion, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 32oz carton chicken broth( add 1 1/2 and save the rest for later if needed)or use water.
Layer ingredients in cooker in order given
Pour broth or water.
Do not stir!
Cook on high 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours until peas are soft and ham falls off bone.
Remove bones and bay leaf
Mash peas to thicken more, if desired
Add more broth or water to thin if to thick.
She uses the same recipe for navy bean soup.