- Cooking Time: 4-8 hours
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 16oz bag of dried green split
- 2 large ham hocks (have the butcher cut them in half)
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup onion, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 32oz carton chicken broth( add 1 1/2 and save the rest for later if needed)or use water.
- Layer ingredients in cooker in order given
- Pour broth or water.
- Do not stir!
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours until peas are soft and ham falls off bone.
- Remove bones and bay leaf
- Mash peas to thicken more, if desired
- Add more broth or water to thin if to thick.
NotesThis is my mothers recipe for split pea soup made in the crockpot.
She uses the same recipe for navy bean soup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More