- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, room temp
- 1 14oz can sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla (1 TB plus 1 tsp)
- Maple and Brown Sugar Icing
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350' F. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Batter: Beat together the butter and sugar until light and smooth. Add eggs, sweet potato, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until combined well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and allspice. Gradually add to sweet potato mixture....stirring until combined and no lumps remain. Do not over mix.
- Divide between the muffin tins (filling about 3/4 full, or a tad more). Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick entered in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool for a couple of minutes. Remove from muffin tin and allow to cool completely before attempting to ice them.
- Icing: I followed the initial instructions. If I were to do it again, I 'd try it differently. The instructions said to:
- On low speed, stream the sugars, butter and salt. Stream in maple syrup. Add vanilla. Increase the speed to med and beat until light and fluffy.
- My icing came out a bit grainy from the brown sugar....and it was very "wet". Which tells me it needed more powdered sugar? I think.
- Next time, I'll work the butter first: beat until creamy, approx. 2 minutes on med-high speed. Then reduce the speed to med. and add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Stream in the maple syrup and vanilla...continuing to beat until light and fluffy again.
NotesI wanted something a little fun, a little different, and reflective of the season for Cupcake Camp LA 2010. It's a sweet potato cupcake with a maple, brown sugar icing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Recipes for Vitality
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Broiled Salmon with Olive-Tomato Vinaigrette
Peanut and pretzel truffles
Veggie KebabsSee More