- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 min
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons drained chopped pimentos (one 4-ounce jar)
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (from a 15-ounce can)
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups drained and rinsed canned kidney beans (one 19-ounce can)
- 2 cups fresh (cut from about 4 ears) or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne, and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the pimientos, tomatoes, squash, water, and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook the stew, covered, stirring occasionally, until the squash is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer vigorously until almost no liquid remains in the pan, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and corn and cook until the corn is just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the basil.
- Add one cup of diced ham along with the beans and corn.
- Use peeled, cubed pumpkin or acorn squash instead of the butternut squash.
- WINE RECOMMENDATION: Gewurztraminers from Alsace have a unique combination of aromas: rose petals, ripe apricots, and musky spice. Though called dry, these wines usually contain a bit of residual sugar--a real plus for this dish, with its sweet squash and corn.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More