Why I Love This Recipe
FEATURING: Beets, squash (acorn, delicata or butternut), onion, green onions, carrots, and basil.
A nice variation on my potato-beet salad- the squash adds a lovely colour and a sweet undertone to this salad: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Gen's-Beet-Potato-Salad/60806/
The recipe here is doubled (or more) so you can eat is as a dish itself instead of a side dish. You can also cut up the acorn squash in cubes before roasting them - it takes less time to cook but more time to prep that way!
NOTE: If you use delicata squash squash, you don't need to peel it once it is baked!
Ingredients You'll Need
6 raw beets, whole (but greens removed, leaving 1-2 inches of the beet green stems)
1.5 acorn squash, whole
1 large carrot, grated
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup of peas or edamame (optional- frozen also work)
1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves (approx. a large handful), chiffonnaded and chopped in ribbons (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 green onion, chopped for garnish (optional)
6 tbsp olive oil
6 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Halve squash crosswise. Scoop out seeds; discard. Slice a small piece off bottom of each squash half just enough to level. Set squash halves, scooped sides down, on prepared sheet. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes- Make sure to stop cooking before it becomes too mushy. Turn off oven and set squash aside to cool.
2. In the meantime, put water in a steamer. Once water is hot, steam the beets for 35-45 minutes (or until tender when inserted with a fork). Turn off the heat, take the lid off and set aside to cool.
3. Combine salad dressing ingredients and put aside.
3. Once cooled down, peel beets and cut the beets into small cubes. Peel off the skin from the squash and cut up in cubes.
4. In a medium salad bowl, combine the onions, grated carrots, peas/edemame, beets and squash. Add the dressing and mix well (the beets will colour everything magenta). Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the basil and green onions. Serve and enjoy.