SQUASH BREAD (PUMPKIN, BUTTERNUT, OR ANY OTHER WINTER SQUASH)
Squash Bread (Pumpkin, Butternut, or any other winter squash)
- Cooking Time: 60 min
- Servings: 1 loaf
- Preparation Time: 10 (not incl puree)
- 1 c. butternut squash puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. fat (I used a mixture of melted butter and olive oil, it called for straight vegetable oil)
- 1/4 c. vanilla soy milk (original recipe calls for water...BORING!)
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 3/4-2 c. unbleached AP flour (doesn't have to be unbleached, but hey, it's better unbleached!)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. dark chocolate cocoa powder
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 degrees
1. Mix together squash puree, eggs, fat, soy milk, and sugars.
2. In a seperate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, kosher salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, and cocoa powder.
3. Mix together wet and dry ingredient, and only mix until incorporated.
4. Pour combined mixture into a greased 8.5x4.5x2.5 loaf pan, and bake for 55-65 min or until wooden skewer comes out clean.
I added somethings to the recipe I found specifically for butternut squash bread, and we will see how it goes...it is in the oven now!