- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 small squashes (I used butternut and delicata), peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 cup corn, frozen or otherwise
- small piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- bit of heavy cream or milk
- 1 cup of barley
- Bring the veggie broth to a boil in a medium stockpot and then put everything else, except the cream and barely, in the pot. Bring it all to a boil and then put a lid on the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is soft. If it looks to liquidy, donâ€™t worry about it, the barley will do the job of absorption. If it looks too thick, just add more water.
- Either process in a food processor/blender in small batches or use an immersion blender in the pot. I like to keep it a little chunky, but itâ€™s your preference.
- Return soup to pot and put it on a very low flame. Really let this simmer slowly and add the barley and the cream. Let sit for another 10 or 15 minutes, uncovered, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can eat the soup now, but like I said, it really does taste better if you wait a day. If you canâ€™t wait that long, I suggest letting it rest for about 30 minutes before serving so that the barley gets the chance to absorb all of the brothy goodness. Swirl in a dollop of yogurt, sour cream or creme fraiche.
- Mmmm, mmmm, goooood.
NotesThis one is pretty easy. Actually, it was a deviation of the normal butternut squash soup that my boyfriend makes, but the addition of barley as a thickener adds a nice texture and a nutty flavor. This soup is best eaten the next day, as the barley really absorbs the liquid overnight and makes the soup super-thick. It makes a great meal with some good crusty bread and a side salad.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
Baked Avocado Brunch
Japanese Carrot Ginger Dressing
Beef , Tomatoe And Cabbage CasseroleSee More