SQUASH SOUP WITH TOASTED CORN
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb 8 oz winter squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped into 1-inch dice
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from 5-6 ears of corn
- Salt and ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups milk (I used 2%)
melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium sauce pan, then add the onion and cook slowly (on low heat) for approx. 8 min.
then add the squash and 2 cups of corn.
stir and season with salt and pepper. cover and let vegetables cook for approx 10 minutes.
Now, pour in stock and milk and bring to a simmer. cover partially and cook for approx. 20 minutes, keep it from boiling over.
Next, preheat the boiler.
Melt the remaining butter and mix in the remaining corn kernels and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. season with more salt and pepper and broil about 3 inches from the heat for about 8 minutes, removing them to stir and turn over about 1/2 way through.
Let soup cool, then puree in batches in a food processor. reheat soup if desired and garnish with the toasted corn. This soup is even better as leftovers!