- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 dressed squirrels (2 - 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 8 small carrots
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Dash of black pepper
- Rolled dumplings
- apples or other fresh fruit for decoration
- Wipe thoroughly with a damp cloth and remove all hair.
- Remove any shot and scent glands.
- Wash well inside and out with warm water.
- Cut into serving pieces.
- Put squirrel into a kettle; add vegetables, oregano, water or stock, salt, pepper and butter; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer until very tender (2-3 hours depending on age of animal).
- The meat should be almost ready to fall from the bones.
- Add water as needed.
- Remove and blend vegetables on high.
- Return to pot.
- Increase the heat until liquid boils.
- Lay the rolled dumplings over the top of squirrel; cover tightly and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Do not lift cover during cooking.
- Place squirrel in a hot serving dish and arrange dumplings around the edge.
- Cooking the dumplings in the liquid should thicken the gravy to just the right consistency.
- Pour gravy over squirrel and dumplings.
- If you don't have time to make dumplings, use can bis.
- Roll out in flour with rolling pin, then cut with knife into strips. Add to liquid.
- Add quartered apples or other fresh fruit for decoration.
NotesThis is an excellent way to cook old squirrels which are too tough for frying.
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More