- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 dressed squirrels (2 - 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 8 small carrots
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Dash of black pepper
- Rolled dumplings
- apples or other fresh fruit for decoration
- Wipe thoroughly with a damp cloth and remove all hair.
- Remove any shot and scent glands.
- Wash well inside and out with warm water.
- Cut into serving pieces.
- Put squirrel into a kettle; add vegetables, oregano, water or stock, salt, pepper and butter; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer until very tender (2-3 hours depending on age of animal).
- The meat should be almost ready to fall from the bones.
- Add water as needed.
- Remove and blend vegetables on high.
- Return to pot.
- Increase the heat until liquid boils.
- Lay the rolled dumplings over the top of squirrel; cover tightly and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Do not lift cover during cooking.
- Place squirrel in a hot serving dish and arrange dumplings around the edge.
- Cooking the dumplings in the liquid should thicken the gravy to just the right consistency.
- Pour gravy over squirrel and dumplings.
- If you don't have time to make dumplings, use can bis.
- Roll out in flour with rolling pin, then cut with knife into strips. Add to liquid.
- Add quartered apples or other fresh fruit for decoration.
NotesThis is an excellent way to cook old squirrels which are too tough for frying.
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
mussels for one or two
Carrot Cake Bites! GF, V, SCD, Paleo!See More